Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Maria at Master's National ITT

So, I showed up at the Seven Springs Mountain Resort to do the Master's National Races, starting with the ITT yesterday. The course was an out-and-back, out-and back on the Northbound Section of a 4-lane highway. The highway was closed to cars for our race. Each section was approximately 6KM for a total of 24KM of racing. There were slight grades in each direction but no real rollers. Fortunately with the narrow lanes we had for racing, the officials gave us 1minute between riders. I found the course to be deceptively challenging and much more racing friendly than I expected.

After charging off the start ramp, the course headed onto an exit ramp for the first 180 degree turn to start the initial "out" section. A northwest cross wind on the slight uphill grade made the first 4KM of this "out" section difficult. There was a rumble strip to ensure I rode a straight line. The last 2KM of this initial "out" section was slightly downhill but with the wind it still wasn't too fast. 180 #2 was next followed what felt like the fasted 6KM of the course. I am assuming that this section was protected from the wind. 180 #3 and back out I went. The slight uphill felt more fluid than the first time, as again I am assuming I was protected from the wind by being in the "middle" of this serpentine TT. 180 #4 and then the wind started to feel stronger, as I was now on the totally unprotected side of the course. The gal starting behind me caught me as the road started to go down in the final 5KM. I was able to keep pace with her for a while but really began to feel the effort in the final 1KM. I rolled over the line at 35:54, good enough for 5th place. I was able to sport my Touchstone Jersey on the podium for my "third place bronze" last night. You'll be happy to know that my mom took photos. I also learned that I was the carrot for our new 40-44 Women's National Champion.

Maria