Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Never a Dull Moment; Mt. Hamilton RR 2007

This was Janeen's first race as a Cat 2, and she did a fine job of rolling to the top of Mt. Hamilton with the leaders. Attacks flowed fast and quick up the 19 mile climb. Several breaks of two racers stayed away for at least 10 minutes at a time before they were caught. Shelly Olds (Proman) made a solo break to take the QOM. After her came a group of about 12 racers who made it to the top together. The descent broke up that group even more. I got gapped by some slower descenders and managed to get around a few of them, but by then the leaders were out of sight.

I hit the climb out of Isabel Creek thinking I'd never see any of leaders again. BUT, I worked hard with Jane Despas and another girl, and caught a group of four. Then, we kept hitting it hard and caught Brooke Miller's small group. We became a group of about 9 and FINALLY caught Shelly Olds. Brooke Miller and another Proman racer attacked about 15 miles out from the finish. They stayed away until about mile 8 or 9 to go as our group worked fairly furiously to catch them. Things eased up until the last descent. I had a lapse of attention when Brooke and the other Proman girl attacked. Brooke's teammate did a fine job of blocking their attack on the downhill. I raced after Brooke and the Proman girl. Brooke won the sprint, Proman second, Jane Despas third, Brooke's team mate 4th, and I came in 5th with Tracy Lillig on my heels. The rest of our small lead group crossed the finish line shortly thereafter. -------Pat

SPECIAL THANKS TO DEREK FROM CHICO FOR PUTTING IN A FANTASTIC EFFORT TO MAKE SURE THAT JANEEN AND I GOT OUT FEEDS!!!